Internet Marketing Internship
About Applied Systems Technology, Inc. (AST)
Applied Systems Technology is a software development and management consulting firm exclusively serving the staffing industry.
Since 1985, we have helped staffing firms re-engineer their business processes and better realize the potential of technology to drive change, improve efficiency, and enhance profitability.
AST currently has 15 employees, and is based out of the Hudson Valley, NY. We have remote offices in Albany, NY, and Philadelphia, PA.
AST and Internet Marketing
Everett Reiss is the Director of Marketing and Communication for AST, overseeing and being hands-on in the following areas of Internet Marketing:
- Maintaining main website: http://www.astusa.com and Staffing Energy Center, which is directed at clients: http://astusa.com/staffingenergycenter.
- Running Mad Staffing Blog: http://astusa.com/staffing-blog.
- Weekly and monthly email marketing campaigns to clients, prospects, and industry leaders.
- Direct mail campaigns to clients through Sendoutcards.com.
- Writing and posting monthly press releases on website and through PRWeb.
- Producing and posting helpful YouTube videos for the staffing industry.
- Directing AST’s social media presence on Linkedin, Twitter, and Facebook.
- Weekly and monthly email and website analytical reporting.
- Webinars and association speaking engagements on technology and social media.
AST continues to devote more and more time and resources to Internet marketing because of its low cost (excluding time), the ROI thus far, and ability to directly interact with target audience (staffing executives and managers).
How Does an Internet Marketing Internship Fit into the Mix?
AST is a small business, so everyone wears multiple hats. In addition to marketing, Everett is involved with project management and account management. Additional hands are needed to help in the following areas:
- Keyword and SEO research using Google’s Keyword Research Tool.
- Search engine optimizing the content that Everett and other AST employees write for main website and blogs.
- Formatting the content that Everett writes for distribution on Mad Staffing Blog, email campaigns, and through other channels such as PRWeb.
- Keeping our email database up-to-date and carving it up into additional segments: type of staffing firm, women-owned, geographic, etc…
- Monitoring conversations on Twitter and Linkedin that AST should be aware of and could potentially participate in, or encourage clients to participate in.
- Edit and posting some of the video content that AST produces on YouTube and blog.
- Researching other tools and areas of social media that either intern or Everett sees value in potentially adopting.
- Potentially work one-on-one with AST staff members to build out their Linkedin profiles and maybe even Twitter profiles.
- Post updates on AST’s Facebook Fan Page and Twitter profile.
- Potentially contribute content for the Mad Staffing Blog, Squidoo pages, Linkedin discussions, and even Wikipedia.
We are looking for applicants with the following skills, experience, and disposition:
- Microsoft Office products, especially Word and Excel.
- Some college-level marketing coursework and/or experience.
- Comfort and familiarity with social media (e.g. Twitter, Facebook, Linkedin, and blogging).
- Creative and business-writing experience.
- Ability to do a thorough job on structured tasks such as maintaining an email database, while being able to do more open-ended research and writing assignments.
- Familiarity with HTML, basic video editing, and graphic design experience is a plus.
Other Details About Internship
- This is an unpaid internship.
- 10 to 20 hours per week.
- Flexible hours.
- This is a “remote internship”: meetings will take place in public places, coffee shops, or on campus in areas with Wi-Fi. Most of the work can be done remotely.
- Intern can use their own laptop, or a laptop can be provided.
Email your resume to Everett Reiss at firstname.lastname@example.org, and in the body of the email explain why this internship interests you and why you would be a good candidate for it.